15.1.12

In Bloom

Obviously flowers are just great, aren't they? In every way. There's just something so wonderfully intricate about them, yet trivial, even cliché. Flowers of every kind have their symbolic meaning, and they are always given/received with something in mind, whatever that is. Though the symbolism and further meaning of flowers only interest me to some degree at this point, I simply love them because they're beautiful, aesthetically pleasing and wonderful!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Peonies and roses are my favorites (to date), and I also like cherry blossoms. When new and barely sprung flowers just make any room I find myself in much brighter and livelier. One example being bringing in a set of white flowers (zoumboulias they're called) into the living room yesterday, and suddenly the presence of the flowers - the smell of them - made everything better, the idea of them even!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us I love having flowers and plants around when they are fresh and can compliment any room, any occasion, but I also enjoy the look of a withered rose. In such cases, as is with all bouquets eventually, I cut the stems and either gather them on some kind of decorative plate or I use them for cards and presents if the situation calls for it. In Athens there are heaps of little flower shops all around, reasonable priced and wonderfully kept. I'll definitely pick someone up for the house soon.

Sources: 1 and 3: here, 2, 4, 12 and 14: here, 6 and 13: by me, 7: here, 8 (two seperate photographs by Cy Twombly): here, 9: here, 10 and 11: Life Magazine.

No comments: